For many of us, our choice to move away from the family home was a decision made when we were in our late teens, or even twenties. If you think back, you will remember a lot of the anxiety that went along with this move. For a Junior B hockey player who leaves their family home to follow their dreams, they are not just leaving family and friends behind to go to a new city or town, but they are still expected to perform both on and off the ice in their new community. Without caring billet families to ease this transition, our young athletes, and future stars might never make the decisions they do to pursue their dreams.
The billet family experience in most cases becomes a lasting relationship between the player, the player's family and the billet family. Our hockey players in the past have served as great role models not only in their community, but for younger family members who can learn from these players' dedication and sacrifices to obtain their goals. Often the billet family through this experience have gained a ‘new family member’ who’s career they can monitor, be it at the Jr. A, college, semi-pro or even professional level.
The importance of billet families to the Fernie Ghostriders Hockey Club is immeasurable. Simply put, without the billet families, we could not put a team on the ice. They provide an environment of support and trust. The Fernie Ghostriders appreciate the commitment, generosity and dedication of these fantastic people.
WHAT THE BILLET FAMILY PROVIDES:
- A private bedroom and closet.
- Nutritious meals and a place to call home.
- A patient, caring, positive and friendly home atmosphere.
- The same guidance and attention you would want for your children,
WHAT THE BILLET FAMILY RECEIVES:
- A monthly $600 grocery stipend for each player housed
- Season Tickets – with all the perks of Ghostriders Home games for everyone in the immediate family living in the household.
- Billet Social Events, like BBQ’s, Get togethers etc.
- All players will arrive mid-to-late August. This allows for high school or college enrolled players to report to school for registration, as well as for training camp that typically begins at the start of September.
- Housing will continue through the end of the season, which may last through the end of February and into May.
If you are interested in becoming a billet for a Ghostriders hockey player, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org